Oil cooler inlet plug

I wonder if anyone knows where to buy or how to fabricate a plug for the oil cooler inlet on my Arrow II? If I park for a few nights outside, it would be nice to know no critters can get in.

Comments

• I made this out of scrap aluminum. Is this what you're looking for?

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Or do you mean this in the bottom of the photo? This is like a small pillow. I got it from Bruce’s Custom covers.
  • I should have mentioned this is for the air filter and main engine inlets as you can see. I have also heard from others that use metal tape over the oil cooler inlet where Scott is showing. It would only be used for cold temperatures however.
  • What you're looking for is an air cooler winterization plate and your aircraft should have come with one. There is a part number in your manual and you can purchase one for about $50. However, you can also make one for basically free.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I'm looking for something to cover the inlet "scoop" on the lower right side of the cowl for oil cooling. I'm thinking it would be a good place for birds to come in if parked outside for a few days. Maybe this isn't a problem. It should be waterproof.

• Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Scott,

He may mean the oil cooler inlet duct which looks like an NACA inlet on the lower cowl, right hand side. My '69 Arrow has one also.

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200
    Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)

• Oh! Got it, much thanks Jim. So how about shoving a piece of foam rubber in there. And put this on the foam rubber plug. https://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/remove-before-flight-streamer.html

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Simple enough. That should work. I'll probably just tie it to the cowl plugs so they will all come off at the same time at preflight. Thanks

• Glad to help! Sometimes it's the simplest of solutions, lol.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Wow, you're talented! :) Great job!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• @Casey, great plugs! What materials did you use (foam and what kind of fabric)?

Thanks!

• Casey;

Wow, beautiful work!

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• edited June 2021
    Years ago when my plane was tied down on the ramp, birds made a nest in my engine. Couldn't believe the mess they made in only 2 days. After cleanup, I made cowling and air inlet plugs from 2 inch thick pink foam board insulation (available at any home improvement store). A 4 ft x 8 ft sheet is only $25. Mine were free because I found scrap pieces of foam board laying by the side of the road. Bonus: I helped clean up the roadside environment.

They're very inexpensive, weigh nothing, and if they get lost, it only takes about 10 min to make a new set. They're nowhere near as nice as Casey's, but they work great.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• They look great. I think you should draw eyeballs on them, lol. :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• edited June 2021
    Scott;

I like that idea. I better not paint them after this week because the eyeballs will turn out bloodshot. 🤣🤣

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• It's been "one of those weeks", and it's only Tuesday. 🙄

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• On my Arrow IV the cowl plug for the small 4"-diameter oil cooler air intake had gotten lost.

I asked several companies for quotes and they all ended up in the $80 range (incl S&H) which I found a bit expensive.

Hence I made one myself. The material (the faux leather and the foam) was about $6, and I spent about 45 mins with cutting and sewing.