New Plane - Old(er) Pilot

After a 29 year absence I realized that with the kids and salary both "grown", I could once again start flying! I'm an avid boater and keep a 37' Express Cruiser on Lake Guntersville, on the Tennessee River at Goosepond, Scottsboro Alabama. After a long and frustrating search nationwide for a Piper Warrior or Archer I finally found one in my own back yard and bought it.

My journey back to flying (with a 21 year old CFI, excellent and very patient!) has been fun so far with 6 hours newly under my belt. I'm also waiting for the FAA to rule on my special issuance which all three of the AME's that I've transitioned through on that whole SI journey say is between 95-99% likely to be fully approved. Of course, if it isn't, I'll stop being a pilot and flip this beautiful 1978 Piper Warrior II!

But I plan to be flying this beauty on my own in a few short weeks.

My background was learning in a Beechcraft Sport, then several years of C150/C172 flying. First Piper flight was a few months ago in a rental for my re-discovery flight. Loved the plane!

So, hi everyone!

Comments

• More pictures!

• Love it, and welcome back to flying! We have something in common; '78 Warriors. Before mine was repainted, both of our birds had the same paint scheme and colors too.

Your plane is beautiful, and it's really nice to hear about pilots like yourself getting back into flying!

Here's a link (on this forum) to my before/after pics.

https://piperowner.org/talk/discussion/154201/its-amazing-what-a-coat-of-paint-will-do-before-after#latest

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Thanks Griff and welcome back to aviation. You've come to the best place to regain your flying and ownership knowledge. Make sure you look at my webinar for new owners. Here's a link: https://piperowner.org/webinar-what-every-arrow-owner-needs-to-know-by-scott-sherer/

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Welcome back and to Piper aircraft! Fingers crossed on your SI but sounds like all is going well. Thankfully, it did for me. You might look into a transition to Basic Med before the SI expires. If possible, it could save you some bucks each year for extra fuel!

Regards,

Mike
  • Welcome back to flying. Good looking Warrior.

• Thanks guys for the welcome. I will view the webinar and look at the pictures. Today is a beautiful day to fly but I'm going to give my CFI Thanksgiving day off (of course!). Good day to take the kids to see dad's new plane!

• Welcome, Beautiful plane, I had a Warrior and now have an Archer II.
    Have a great time!!!
    TMcC