Electric trim problem

I have a 74 PA32-260 and am having trouble with my electric trim. The motor runs but will barley turn the trim wheel. It is very difficult to trim the wheel by hand as well. The service manual for the plane dose not have info on the trim servo and refers to a separate manual, which I don't have.
Is the servo supposed to freewheel when the trim is turned off so it dose not add tension? When my electric trim is turned off the servo seems to continue to add friction on the main pully, I have adjusted the nut on top that affects the clutch witch helped a little but if you go to far with that the cable slips around the pulley.
Can you get the servo out without disturbing the cable? So the plane is still flyable.
Thanks

Comments

• There is a clutch in the trim unit. It is supposed to slip (able to be overpowered) but should be able to handle normal resistance. If you say your trim is stiff, you need to lube all the pulley points and the trim wheel to loosen it up. Also, inside the tail cone there is a trim jackscrew. Take off the cone and clean that all out. Put new Aeroshell #7 synthetic grease on it and work it up and down. If the trim does not feel stiff anymore, the electric trim should work.
  • Thanks for your thoughts. Already done all that (i.e. lube all the pulleys and tail spindle)and determined it is in the servo area that is binding. I think what I need is the manual that explains the servo, like, can I remove it while the cables stay in place?
  • You should be able to disengage the clutch with the unit still in place. I had the same problem and that's what my A&P did. Before they disengaged it, the manual trim was *very* hard to move and the electric trim started dragging. It could be adjusted for one or the other to work. I'd much rather have to trim by hand than take a chance on an electric system failing or going haywire in flight. I plan to get the clutch overhauled sometime in the future so it's back to normal, but at a cost of around $700-800 I've chosen to wait (especially since the engine is now out for an earlier than expected overhaul).
  • Looking for one of these?

mini_10042012-0004_IMG-5539.jpg
  • I have a 78' pa-32-rt 300 and the electric trim is not working. The motor is engaging but the clutch doesn't seem to be grabbing at all. Where can I find a Pitch, Trim Service Manual?

Thanks
    Pete
  • Hi ch67guy1
    Well, that is the manual I am looking for! That would make my life a lot easier and would answer some questions. How can I get a copy? Do you want to sell it, make copies, what??
    HoWo
  • If ch67guy1 is up for it, I would happily scan (free) to PDF this hard copy for archival usage and post.

Thanks,

Andy
  • PLEASE STAND BY! YOU ALL WILL SOON HAVE ACCESS TO MY PITCH TRIM SERVICE MANUAL!

I'm sorry folks! I haven't been on this website in several days. I was under the impression that if someone added to a thread that I had written to, that I would get an EMAIL in my regular email, letting me know that someone had added to the thread.

So I'm sorry it has seemingly taken so long to get back with you all, as it seems at least a few of you are anxious to get your hands on this service manual that I have. I'm planning on keeping it, but you all can have PDF copies of it.

I am planning on scanning the "Pitch Trim Service Manual" as a PDF file this weekend.

I actually found the manual at the "Fly Market" at Oshkosh last year, and SIMPLY KNEW it would come in handy someday!

Once I scan it, then I could place it in Dropbox and provide a download link for anyone who wants a copy, free of any cost.

I have to add the disclaimer that this manual is dated 1970, so it is for ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY <wink wink>.

The manual has several pages that fold out, so I need to go to Staples and shrink those down to fit the bed on my scanner.

The whole operation shouldn't take very long to do. I'm good at scanning. Thank you for the offer from the person to scan this manual for me. I appreciate it.

Let's say that I hope to post to this forum tomorrow with a download link for the scanned Pitch Trim manual.

I've never had an electric pitch trim problem <knock on wood>.

Charley

P.S.: If anyone knows anyone who wants my original Cherokee 180 engine baffles (in the "For Sale" section) PLEASE let me know. I'd love to see them go to a good home. They are not junk, but need some TLC. I got new baffles from Airforms in Alaska last August.
  • Hi Charley,
    Wow, it seems I am not the only one interested in that manual!!! Thank you for getting it scanned and providing it for all of us with electric trim issues. I am not sure how it will work on the computer to get it through this site as a pdf but looking forward to figuring it out.
    Howard
  • I was wondering if this manual is still available to download?
  • Click HERE

for your very own copy of the Piper Pitch Trim Service Manual.

Be patient as this document downloads to your computer. It is 130 pages, and the file size is 42.9 MB.

Once it is completely downloaded, you can print as many copies as you like on 8.5" x 11" paper. Don't try to print this on an ink jet printer. I'd strongly recommend using a laser printer on at least 20# paper.

KEEP IN MIND THAT THIS SERVICE MANUAL IS MARCH 1970 ISSUE, AND HAS NEVER BEEN UPDATED!

If someone out there absolutely positively wants my original copy of this manual, send me $50 and I'll be happy to send it to you. But you won't be getting anything that is not included in the above download.

If for whatever reason, you'd like this manual printed out on nice clean white heavyweight paper, I can provide that for $25. This is simply for my time and materials in printing the manual. I'll even punch holes for a 3 ring binder, and when you receive it you can place the pages in your own 3 ring binder.

I scour the "Fly Market" at Oshkosh every year for these sort of manuals to help keep us all flying. Your best bet is to just use the above download link and print it on your own.

You all take care.

Charley
  • Hi Charley,
    I think you have made a lot of people happy with your posting!! I don't have a laser printer and at 120 pages long I am tempted to ask you to print one out for me and I will sent you the $25 you suggested.
    I am going to check with my son, my personal computer expert, and ask him if I could put it on a disc and take it somewhere to have it printed. I am sure that is possible but I need guidance in that regard!!
    Thank you for putting it up for everyone interested.
    Howard
  • Hi Charley,
    I think you have made a lot of people happy with your posting!! I don't have a laser printer and at 120 pages long I am tempted to ask you to print one out for me and I will sent you the $25 you suggested.
    I am going to check with my son, my personal computer expert, and ask him if I could put it on a disc and take it somewhere to have it printed. I am sure that is possible but I need guidance in that regard!!
    Thank you for putting it up for everyone interested.
    Howard
  • Howard and friends,

I'm glad you folks are making good use of the scanned pitch trim service manual!

I'm always willing to share my resources and knowledge. Because God knows I get stumped and need help sometimes too!

Let's keep the old birds (and the not so old birds) flying.

You all have a nice day.

Charley

mini_IMG-0001.jpg
  • Hi Charley,
    I will put the check in the mail today.
    Thanks, Howard
  • Howard,

Your check arrived today. I'm assembling your manual as we speak...

Charley

P.S.: Dumb question, but how do you get a Cherokee 6 to Hawaii? It's not like it was born there!
  • Howard,

I just used the US Postal Service tracking feature.

Your trim manual is currently in RICHMOND, CA 94804. So it's about to cross the pond, on it's way to you!

Charley.
  • I have the exact same problem described by greghugh---. A few years ago I took it to Sun Aviation @ VRB, the so-called Piper experts. They put their trim 'expert' on it, ran up a several hundred $ bill and accomplished ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! If you're looking FOR someone to try to fix the problem DO NOT TAKE IT TO SUN AVIATION.
  • Jim,

I'll fix that for you sometime if you want.
  • That'll be great. I forgot to mention it to you earlier.
    Thank you,
    Jim
  • Howard,

Mail to Hawaii takes FOREVER! I mailed to you on April 23, 2012, and I see the parcel is now in Honolulu and to be delivered to you TODAY!

Best wishes,

Charley
  • Thanks for the manual Charley!

Brian
  • Thanks for the copy!

Brian
    N9181W
  • I'm glad you got yourself a copy of the manual Brian!

The manual still remains available for download for free for anyone who is interested. Look at my older posts in this thread for the download link.

You all have a nice day!

Charley
  • Charley - you get a gold star! As the proud owners of an Arrow that has been idle for 12+ years, there are lots of systems that needed cleaning, overhauling, replacement, etc. All the manuals were readily available except the Trim system - have looked for hours to find it - finally found it here. Make that 2 gold stars. Cheers, Joe & Tony
  • Greetings - I think I am in need of this aforementioned pitch trim manual, but the link is dead in this thread. I would very much appreciate any assistance! any other links out there?

Thanks, Brian

Brian
    1979 Arrow IV

• Piper Pitch Trim Service Manual attached.

DJ

• Thank you!

Brian
    1979 Arrow IV

• To be fair, this manual is NOT a overhaul/adj manual, just covers installs and check outs in various pipers. I'v had this manual for years, really not too helpful in tryng to make a sticky and stiff Pa28 series pitch trim do anything better.

48 yrs A/P IA DAL aircraft inspector. 172N