Airtex Seats

Comments

• Sorry, operator error when I uploaded the files and not the pics. Sorry about that!

Andy Sikora
    1972 PA28R-200
    X51
    Retired Miami ATCT/Tracon

• My armrests are recessed into the panel and as of now I am not sure what holds them in place. This weekend I will start removing the original panels and find out!

It appears that it is necessary to remove, or at least loosen, the metal strips adjacent to the windows so that the new panels can fit underneath the edge of the strips which would then clamp the panels in place. Is this a good assumption?

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200
    Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)

• Andy,

I notice the headset jacks for the rear seat are in a housing screwed to the wall panel. I have the same fixtures and I wonder what you used on the backside of the panel where the screws come through? Nuts and washers or something else?

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200

• edited November 2022

Jim,

Second question first, the headset jacks have 2 pieces of metal framing out the jack box on the inside The screws go through the panel and into the metal frame. It was easy for me because there was plenty of wire to attach them before putting the panel on.

First post: my arm rests were held on with 2 screws from underneath. They were a little difficult to get back on. Airtex had a circle cutout on the back in the area of the screws in the panel. Second one I made the hole in the vinyl almost the same as the cutout. That made it much easier to find the nut once the panel was in..

And yes you have to loosen the screws in the strip by the window. When you get it in place tighten them and it holds the panel in place.

Just a for what it's worth. I started with the easy door panel, then did the 2 panels in the back I didn't remove them all at once And I figured if I make a mistake it would be less noticeable in the back. But honestly it is slow but very straight forward

Andy Sikora
    1972 PA28R-200
    X51

• Hey Andy, excellent job!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Asikora1;

Wow what a difference! Beautiful work!

If you haven't already done so, wait till you fly with the new interior. You won't believe the difference, and you'll realize that all your hard work paid off!

Nice job!

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• I removed the two rear panels today and am going to mount the headset jacks tomorrow. The housings I bought do not have a frame so I will fabricate one. I plan to put connectors in the leads to the jacks so that if the wall panels need to come out in the future there will not be a problem with the wiring being restrictive. My door panel promises to be a pain since it also has a recessed armrest as does the pilot side. I think I will leave it to the last!

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200

• Jim,

Connectors will work or just a few extra feet of wire. That is what they did with mine. To remove the panel, remove it, then unscrew the headset jack, feed it through the hole and you are good. The outside box for headset jacks will fit through the hole you had for the ashtray!

Andy Sikora
    1972 PA28R-200
    X51

• Thanks, Andy. I noticed the cutout on the backside of the wall panel and there is another similar place for the headset jacks. I didn't get to this task today (Honey do issues) but hopefully tomorrow I will mount the jacks.

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200

• Remind me please, to NEVER replace an interior on my Arrow (or any other plane) AGAIN!!! Actually, since the old interior is 53 years old I won't EVER have to worry about replacing the new stuff.

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200

• Haha. I’m happy I’m done with mine. It was a lot of work. Keep plugging away; there is an end….eventually

Dan
    Private Pilot, ASEL & Instrument
    1975 PA-28R-200

• Jim,

My body was tired when I was done. But when its done and you are sitting in the front seat, you will be amazed that you did it! Hang in there! You will make it!

Andy Sikora
    1972 PA28R-200
    X51

• My next chore is to find the mounting screw holes without being able to see where they are! I have taken multiple photos of the areas so as to avoid wiring, etc., but .... ! The old panels serve as a template of course, but there is still a CEP (Circular Error Probability). However, this project certainly is keeping me off the streets but out of the air too! More later...

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200

• @asikora1

I too am redoing my Arrow. Is your an Arrow II? I have a 1973 Arrow II built in November of 1972. My window trim is non standard. Did you redo trim? Did you have issues? I think my Arrow is a 1 1/2.

When you took your interior apart did you find anything from the long lost past?

1973 Arrow II factory AC removed

G5’S, G275, GNX375 Still can get lost.

• Resq5hvy

Mine is an Arrow II, 1972. Not sure if mine is standard or not. The window trim has screws. I just loosed the screws and slide the side panels up under the trim. That part was easy.

And I found no time capsule hidden in the plane as I redid it. But when removing the 50 year old foam from the seat, I was sure at least one person had farted on each of the seats. ; )

Andy Sikora
    1972 PA28R-200
    X51

• OMG, too funny!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Sliding the wall panels under the trim was certainly the easy part. Finding the holes for screws used to mount the air vents, fuel tank selector, arm rests, door latch...etc., is the "fun" part.

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200

• I did the same thing. Still takes a while! A once in a lifetime endeavor (unless you are Scott!!)

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200

• Practice makes perfect fellows! :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Scott,

I enjoyed every part of redoing the interior. Well except the tired body at the end of the day. I keep thinking I need to buy another plane just so I can fix it up.

It's crazy to think that. But I have enjoyed every part of modernizing our Arrow. Maybe need a turbo Arrow ;)

Andy Sikora
    1972 PA28R-200
    X51

• Hi Andy,

I feel the same way. While my body doesn't handle being twisted up like a pretzel very well my brain loves having an airplane that my passengers love to comment on. Did you just buy this plane?? lol. Very rewarding! Now where's my Jack Daniels?

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• They did more than fart on one of my seats. I am saying coffee, coffee, defiantly coffee, lots of white cream. Don’t tell me coffee is not that color. I know it glows under blue light before we sprayed the Luminal. It is coffee.

My plane looks great now, high back seats don’t photograph well. Can’t see the forest for the trees.

1973 Arrow II factory AC removed

G5’S, G275, GNX375 Still can get lost.

• So this is getting finished up and my wife saw it and said Hey lets do the interior. Well, y'all have inspired her (and saved me a significant amount of money - 30k plus based on quotes) to proceed with an Airtex installation from floor to headliner and seats. Luckily my parents have upholstering experience and my dad loves doing this stuff. So as it goes down for annual next month, so begins the rebuild. Airtex order and payment just made. Excited and nervous. Thankfully, my IA has agreed to go ahead and strip everything out including headliner during annual to make that a little easier. Probably gonna pay his shop rat to put some elbow grease on the glue removal too.

Considering sending the yokes off to be done to, its only money right!?!? Wanted to put in an EIS to replace the Bendix mag but they may wait until next annual.

Thank you everyone for inspiration and tips. Will post pics and let everyone know how it is going.

• Nice panel!

Dan
    1975 PA-28R-200

• @rammstein1903

Thank you. Sarasota Avionics does fantastic work and so easy to work with.

• That’s great. I’m looking forward to mine coming out of the avionics shop.

Dan
    1975 PA-28R-200

• edited February 2023

So here's thought, based on installing 5 Airtex interiors over the years. If you let your IA remove your interior, you won't have any idea how to put it back. The installer must be the one removing the old interior. Just my opinion. Also, here's a pic of my yokes. Yoke Up interiors did them.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I agree with Scott. I was thinking it, but didn’t say it. Plus it’ll be less expensive.

I just got a quote from YokeUp. After avionics work in all likelihood.

dan

Dan
    1975 PA-28R-200

• Yoke Up is an awesome family run business. Great people, I highly recommend them.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!