Knots2U Group Buy- Get in Here Piper Owners!

1235»

Comments

• Since the B17 restoration is off topic, I'll start a new thread.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Bummer they are not doing the program anymore, but I will say that it did trigger me to spend a fair bit of money with them for two reasons. First, they are a small business is a big fish bowl and I always try to support those guys first. Second, I’m a “never pay retail” kinda guy and 8% in the aviation sales environment is a robust discount for sure. Third, K2U has always come through for me and I like their fiberglass products enough that my entire PA32RT is K2U speedmod-ed so to speak.

Hopefully a future deal can be established!

I own and fly a 79 PA32RT-300T. Previous aircraft are a 79 Archer and 76 Arrow.

• Back on topic.

I bought trim pieces for around the door and windows, do I paint them or are they pretty right from the factory?

1973 Arrow II factory AC removed

G5’S, G275, GNX375 Still can get lost.

• This B17, is it at a public airport?

I grew up in NorCal

ln KRDD, dad still lives there, the USFS had B17G’s without chin turrets for firebombers based there. Redding is 7,000 feet long and the B17 rotated further down the runway than the United B737-200’s that made 4 stops before they got back to KSFO to get more gas.

Once we passed the B17’s on the way to a fire, (before TFR’s or computers) they got to go first but the ol’ guy in Redding Tower knew I liked to watch B17 and did not care. The sound of the Wright R1820’s was incredible. My dad told me to get way inside them as I taxied out to takeoff, they leak and the red stuff does not come off without a lot of work. I got just a little on the main gear door, soft scrub with bleach took it right off. I rewaxed that area. It looked so good I got to wax the entire plane by hand that week.

I think when my radios are installed, I’ll take the kids to see a B17and then have them wax the plane. Do you think they will fall for it? My daughter is smart……her bf who is plane crazy might go for it, he’ll wax the plane if I ask him, he’s a good kid.

• edited September 2022

I've replaced all of my interior plastic from Knots2U and haven't painted any of it. There are pro's and con's to painting. On the Pro side painted plastic does look a little bit better. On the Con side, it does flake. My interior looks great unpainted and that's the way I'll keep it!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Resq5hvy;

Agree with Scott. Don't use paint.

If you need to color match plastic parts, use a plastic dye. I purchased one made by SEM (can be bought at most good automotive stores and online). Paint coats the surface and can chip, while dye changes the color of the plastic much like dying a piece of cloth. Can be purchased spray-on or brush. I prefer spray.

Purchased my plastic interior parts from a couple different vendors, and the colors varied from each of them. Sprayed them all the same color with SEM plastic dye and installed. Everything matched perfectly.

13 yrs later it still looks great and not a single flake or chip. Those who saw my plane at the Racine fly-in can confirm.

To answer your other question, the B-17 is in Marengo, IL, on private property. It's not at an airport, but as construction continues, (they're approaching the "attach wings" step) they'll have to move it to an airport with a very large hangar. Nothing about a B-17 is small.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Thanks Griff

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Thank you for the B17 info, those things are monsters.

I am incapable of assembling things in my head, so looking at the plastic window parts is difficult for me to know if I got them all. Once I try putting them in I will know if I got them all.

I know the colors that come in a box of 8 crayons, beyond that I tend to go off in the weeds with Tucson Orange and Burnt Sienna, my wife and daughter know the difference. If the plastic is dyed, it’s gunna be there fault. Thank you for the advice. I think I will use the newly upholstered seats to hold the plastic while I spray it with dye, that will make the girls very happy.